Use as a teaching aid to train wildlife that an electric fence is energized. Baiting (and rebaiting!) your scent caps is worthwhile if you value the trees and plants that you are seeking to protect.
Apple scent encourage deer to “test” electric fences around gardens, sweet corn patches and orchards. When an animal touches the conductive metal cap with its sensitive, low-resistance nose they receive a painful, memorable shock and decide to graze elsewhere.
- 4 oz plastic squeeze bottle
- Ingredients: Salt, Sodium Carbonate, Citric Acid, Xanthum Gum, Propylene Glycol, Guar Gum, Natural and Artificial Sweeteners, Natural and Artificial Apple Flavors
- How many caps do I need?
- You should bait the fence with a scent cap every 50 ft in heavy traffic areas. Every 100 ft in less traffic areas. Deer are very sensitive to smell.
- Is it difficult to rebait scent caps?
- Baiting is simple. It involves turning off the energizer; twisting the cap upward and applying a few drops of apple scent to the cotton inside the cap; and then twisting the cap downward. When finished, reconnect the energizer to electrify the conductor.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Judy R from Michigan
I would have given it 5 stars this summer. We went from 20+ deer in our sheep pasture to one doe. As fall is setting in we are seeing more pressure on the fence and I am having to reapply the scent more often. You do have to replace the cotton occasionally. I found using a little bigger piece of cotton ball and really pinching it in works a little better.
Marilee W from New York
Sure smells like true apple and seems to work since no deer have been sighted since baiting the caps. The generous size bottle should last for hundreds of applications.
Jacob T from Idaho
This stuff works great!
The deer were slaughtering my fruit trees before I saw the 3D fence design in your magazine. I get extremely high deer pressure during winter and spring, this 3D design with scent caps and apple scent stoped the deer in their tracks! I was very sceptical about this at first becase the deer run through my sister's cow fences all the time. I never thought I would be hot-wire-training deer! The one thing I was not satisfied with; is that the cotton in the sent caps tends to fall out, no big deal, I have plenty to replace it with.
I am very glad that I bought this stuff. Thank you Premier for the great products and ideas!