IntelliShock 20 Energizer
For medium-length temporary and semi-permanent fences for livestock and wildlife or medium-length permanent fences for cattle and horses use this 2 joule unit.
Includes connections to run as either a 110V plug-in or 12V battery (replacements sold separately under the accessories tab).
|Energizer Only||Battery Kit*||Plug-in Kit*|
|IntelliShock 20 Energizer||✔||✔||✔|
|(2) Ground Rods (galvanized)||3 ft||3 ft|
|(2) Ground Rod Clamps||✔||✔|
|(2) Hanging Nuts||✔|
|MaxiShock Insulated Cable||10' roll||100' roll|
|5-Light Wireless Fence Tester||✔||✔|
- 2.5 miles of 3 strand cattle fence
- 1 mile of a 6 strand sheep fence
- 16 of the 164' sheep/goat nets
- Up to 8 of the 164' poultry nets
- Requires a grounding system. Inadequate grounding is the most common failure in an electric fence system. We recommend 6 ft. of grounding for this energizer.
- 12V battery draw is 32-196 milliampere (mA) per hour. With this energizer a 12V, 100 ampere hour deep-cycle battery will last approximately 13 (on a weedy fence) and 78 (on a clean fence) days. (Assumes 40% drawn down between charges.)
- To operate as a solar energizer, run the unit as a battery unit (DC) and attach a solar panel to charge the battery. (10-40 watt panel recommended.)
- 2.00 released joules
- 2.00 joules in moist soils
- 0.45 joules in dry soils
- Pulses per minute: 38
- 12V DC draw: 32-196 mA/hr
- 110V draw is 3.3 watt per hour
- Impedance type: low – pulse type
- Load sensing/variable draw: yes
- Input: AC/DC
- 110V plug-in adapter
- 12V battery adapter (Batteries sold separately.)
- A wiring harness is included to connect energizer to fence and energizer to ground rod.
To use the energizer as a plug-in unit:The energizer can be mounted either inside or outside of a building, but not where there is risk of fire. The energizer must be mounted vertically. Protect the energizer from direct rainfall.
- Connect an insulated cable (stripped back 1 - 2" on ends) to the fence terminal on energizer, run the cable to the fence line and connect, or use the positive part of the wiring harness.
- Then run a second length of cable from the ground terminal (with ends stripped again) on the energizer to the ground rod(s), or use the negative part of the wiring harness.
- Secure to ground rod(s) with a clamp.
- Plug the energizer directly into an outlet and test fence. Do not use an extension cord as it may cause a decrease in voltage and expose the unit to the elements.
To use the energizer as a battery unit:
- Attach wiring harness to energizer.
- Attach the bare end of the wire with the red clip to the fence terminal of the energizer. Attach the red alligator clip to the fence.
- Attach the bare end of the wire with the black clip to the ground terminal of the energizer. Attach black alligator clip to the ground rod(s).
- Connect the energizer to the battery.
- Insert battery adapter into the energizer. Attach red alligator clip from the adapter to the red “+” terminal of the battery.
- Attach black alligator clip from the adapter to the black “–” terminal of the battery.
Unit indicator light should flash and a tic-tac sound will be heard. If the indicator light doesn't flash, then the unit/battery should be checked.
To Reduce Risk & Liability
- Never place your head or upper spine near an electrified wire. Accidental head or neck contact can occur when pushing a voltage probe into the soil. Be careful when doing so to avoid head-to-wire contact!
- Never attempt to step over or climb through an energized fence of any kind.
- Never encourage anyone to touch an electric fence.
Start by measuring the voltage at the end of the fence line. If the voltage is below 3000V, follow these steps to determine if the problem is with the fence, or the energizer.
Test the energizer first!
- Turn off the energizer.
- Disconnect the wires going to the fence and ground stake/rod.
- Turn the energizer back on.
- Measure the voltage on the energizer between the two terminals (positive and negative) with a digital voltmeter or other high-voltage tester. Touch one end to “-“ (earth terminal) and the other end to “+” (fence terminal). The reading tells you how well the energizer is working without any other variables.
- If the tester reads below 5000V, then the energizer (or possibly the battery) is the problem. If the voltage is above 5000V, then the trouble lies with your fence.
If the fence is at fault:
- Conductors touching another wire, steel post or the soil
- Broken or damaged insulators
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
FencingItem #147510 -
Holds solar panels of nearly any size (10 to 80 watts) at 45˚ (for maximum solar response in most conditions) on top of the energizer/battery support box.$27.50
Energizer Solar Panels and AccessoriesItem #112002 -
Attach to Premier Intellishock and HotShock electric fence energizers to adapt them to run on battery power.$9.26
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Keith M from Kansas
Excellent fence energizer. Premier1's customer service and warranty is unmatched.
Dustin M from Tennessee
I wanted to build my own mobile fence charger and in doing so I wanted to be able to upgrade certain aspects and future proof certain aspects. And I can honestly say I am glad I decided to future proof with this! Very reliable, very energy efficient as I am using only solar and batteries to operate it and sometimes I don’t get much sun in some areas I have my charge box. So this unit drawing such little power is very reassuring to me to know I will always have power to the fence.
Charles Y from North Carolina
Needed a unit that could be battery powered for a garden fence, electric netting. This seemed to be the most charger for the money, arrived quickly, was easy to set up. Really neat that it can be used either 12v or 120v, I just have to remember where I put the AC converter.
Jeffrey S from California
I bought this energizer about 6 months ago and it has worked great on A/C power. Went to use it on D/C power and one of the clamps that clamp to the battery was broke. Contacted Premier 1 and they sent out a replacement quickly. Thank you Premier 1 for the great customer service. Very Happy with my purchase.
Molly G from Minnesota
Easy to use!