Z Tag, One Piece Calf
Excellent first tag for calves. Proven superior retention. Easy application. Helps prevent disease transfer.
Customize your tags! We can customize "imprint" your tags with consecutive numbers or farm/ranch name. Usually shipped within 2 business days.
How to order—see "Customization" below. If ordering "blank" tags, type "blank" in the Customization Instructions box in the shopping cart.
Not Scrapie Approved.
- 2-3/8" x 3-1/4"
- 25 per package.
- UV resistant plastic.
- Insert tags using Z Tag applicator.
- Tag colors are in order of visibility and contrast of the printed numbers: Yellow, White, Orange, Green, Blue, Pink, Purple and Red. Black not available.
- Can be custom imprinted: 1) Consecutive numbers or farm/ranch name. 2) Up to 3 lines of 15 characters per male/female side.
- Can also handwrite on them with Z Tag Marking Pen.
- Not Scrapie Approved.
Custom printing details…
- Order tags above.
- Determine imprint
- Numbers must be consecutive with or without repeating farm/ranch names. Up to 15 characters and 3 lines.
- Logos/Brands a one-time $25 setup fee per design.
- Imprint location: Front side of tag only.
- Enter tag numbers/letters either in the "Customization Instructions" box in the Shopping Cart or the "Comments" box on the Payment Options screen.
- Custom-imprinted tags are not returnable.
How do I order…
- Blank Tags—Enter package quantity of tags above and type "blank" in the Customization Instructions box in the shopping cart.
- Individual names, numbers or replacement tags—Specific animal names on each tag as well as individual numbers out of sequence can be done. But it takes much more machine time per tag so the cost per tag is $2.50/tag and please call Premier at 1-800-282-6631.
How to Use
Use the Z Tag applicator to install the tags:
- Flip applicator pin up to tag loading position.
- Insert pin into tag.
- Straighten self piercing tip and push down onto pin. Make sure tag is fully seated on the pin before tagging.
- Rotate tag to the side. Flip the applicator pin down into tagging position.
- Tag through the front of the ear only. To apply tag, squeeze handles firmly together and hold closed.
- To remove applicator, pull the Z Tags applicator straight down and away from the ear on one single motion. Do not release the applicator handles at any point during step. When the Z Tags applicator is pulled away from the ear, the pin automatically flips up to eliminate ripped ears and damage to the pin.
Instructions (included with packaging or the downloadable PDF above). There is a spare pin located in the bottom of the handle. Use a light lubricant on the applicator and pin to increase workability and guarantee long life.
When writing your own numbers with the Z Tags marking pen, be sure to apply two good coats of ink to allow maximum penetration into the tag panel. This process will guarantee longer lasting numbers.
Do not use existing ear tag holes. Conventional 2 piece ear tags damage and weaken the surrounding ear tissue; application of Z tags in these existing holes could lead to lost tags. Tag has a sharp point, please exercise caution. For animals with soft ears: young calves; it is important to grasp the tip of the ear with a free hand and hold the ear taut to add support and ensure complete penetration of the tag tip through the ear.
Inserting Tags In Cold Weather
Plastic tags (all brands) are much easier to install if they are warm. Why? As the temperature drops below freezing plastic becomes less flexible (more stiff) and forcing the male point of a tag through the female takes many more lbs. of pressure (because the female must expand).
So if you care about your hands it’s a good idea to keep the tags above freezing in very cold weather. It takes very little to do this. One method is to simply store them while tagging in a small bucket, cardboard box or tool box with a lid alongside a sealed pop bottle full of warm water. The warm water will keep both the air and the tags warmer in the container.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Chrissy C from Arkansas
I love these tags! I have used these tags for 5 years and never have an issue with fading and they don't fall out. Speaking with Bren was such a pleasure and she made sure my custom tags were perfect before going to print. Fast shipping and great customer service!
Ashley C from Ohio
The tags are fantastic and we have used them for years. The last batch I ordered and had personalized with our farm name came with the name taking up the entire front side of the tag leaving no room to write individual cow number beneath. I have ordered them several times and have never had an issue. Because it is a personalized tag they will not accept returns and now I am stuck with 50 tags I can not use. Terrible customer service!
Jerilyn W from Maine
We use the smaller tag for all our cows/calves because we don’t like the bigger ones detracting from the cow’s beauty, yet we can still read the tag. It is super helpful to be able to customize the lettering/numbers on the tags AND it is a wicked fast arrival time. We like the the idea that the ear tag is the ear punch rather than a pin. The application is so smooth with the one piece tag. We have not had any come out either. Love them, love the service!
Mary J from Texas
Personalization was exactly as I expected. Color and size, too. Arrived quickly.
Jessica H from Wyoming
Great tags that are easy to put in and have not had any trouble with them losing or ripping them out. Customer service is prompt and accurate and we had our tags within a week of ordering. The phone call was much appreciated to make sure the tags would be printed correctly also. Premier 1 is the BEST!