Big Bale Feeder
Great way to feed round and square bales while reducing wasted hay. It pays for itself in 1 year!
Note: We are now selling Big Bale panels, hinges and snap clips individually. This way you can design according to your situation or need.
How many panels, hinges and clips you will need? See "Customization" below.
- 48" tall x 40" long
- 4 - 8" x 12" eating holes
- 3/8" dia support rods (outer rods & 4 vertical internal rods)
- 1/4" dia rods (other rods)
- Hot-dip galvanized
- 4 head-holes per panel.
- Folds flat—easy to store and move.
- Adult sheep can’t get inside it.
- Average of 40 ewes per 6 panel feeder is advised. (Too many ewes will cause fighting for access.) 1200 lb hay bale should last about 5 days.
- More durable than feeders made with farm-store wire panels.
- Adapts to most round or square bale sizes.
- Not for use with cattle, horses or horned animals.
- Ships to you by UPS™/Spee-Dee™.
- Most need 5–7 panels.
Big Bale Feeder— 10% wastage, $231 wasted hay.
Other Feeders— 25% wastage, $577 wasted hay.
So, the $346 difference pays for a Premier feeder—in only 1 year!
See downloadable instructions above.
- Don’t use them for cattle or horses. Horned sheep or goats won’t damage the feeder but they may get their heads caught.
- Don’t lift the feeder with the tractor loader. This puts unnecessary stress on the welds.
- Don’t let panels freeze to the ground.
- Don’t feed more than 40-50 ewes per feeder. Too many ewes per feeder may cause them to fight for access—which can result in poor-doing (or even dead) sheep.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
LeRoy R from New York
Bale feeder works as advertised and does help in limiting the amount of hay that is wasted. In three feeders, I received one defectively welded panel that broke apart after 3-4 weeks use. Assume this is an aberration, but disappointed that no follow up from Premier after phone call inquiry and emailed description of problem per suggestion when I called. Will buy more, but check carefully in the future.
I have only had this feeder for a week, but I am very happy with it so far. It is very heavy duty wire, good connectors and it's sturdy. I have had a grass hay bale in with my 25 sheep for 5 days and they have barely put a dent in the bale. Before I had no feeder and in 4 days a round bale would be ruined and wasted. So far there is very little on the ground. My sheep seem to be happier too as they don't have to rummage and clean up at all. I will definitely be buying one more of these in the future.
Absolutely the best way to feed hay to sheep. I now own 3 and one of these has been in use for several years and you can't tell it from the one I bought last month (minus the dirt).