Rope or Tape Fences
Consists of up to 2 strands of electrified rope (IntelliRope® PE 4.5 or 6.0) or IntelliTape™ stretched hand-tight between small-diameter wood, steel or large fiberglass posts (usually hand-driven). Line posts are step-in plastic, Step-In or FiberRods.
- To separate horses from each other.
- To fence horses out of hazards.
- To make horses easier to catch by limiting their pasture size to a few days' grazing.
- To reduce under and overgrazing (for which horses are rightly infamous).
Cost: as low as 18¢ per ft
The cost for this fence is driven by type and number of strands used and choice of energizer. The cost per ft for line posts is the same for any number of strands.
- Horses must see a fence to be able to avoid it. Our best conductors (IntelliTape and IntelliRope) have contrasting black/white colors to ensure that they "stand out" visually against all backgrounds.
- Conductivity matters. Ropes and tapes that are poor conductors provide a strong shock near the energizer and a weak shock at the far end. Good conductors provide a uniform shock and allow the use of smaller energizers (less cost and risk).
- Use step-in posts. Step-in posts can be plastic or Premier's Step-In FiberRods with a special protective top. The FiberRods are less likely to break.
- Must always be properly energized.
Energizer: You also need an energizer for this fence. Please refer to the Energizer section of our website to determine your needs.
NOTE: Dry conditions and wintertime usages—may reduce the effectiveness of electric fencing.
Listed below are the recommended components that may be needed to build this basic fence. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and speak with our fence consultants at