Rope Fences - Up to 5 strands
Consists of electrified rope (up to 5, though 2 or 3 is common) stretched hand-tight between wood or steel end and corner posts.
Line posts are wood or steel spaced up to 35 ft apart. As the ropes are only tensioned by hand (less than 40 lb), brace assemblies are usually not required at ends or corners.
Springs are installed at one end of each rope to maintain tension.
For drier areas, a wide-impedance energizer is advised.
- Subdividing pastures.
- Keeping horses away from hazards.
- Separating horses.
- Excluding livestock.
- Protecting trees.
- Horse lanes from corrals to pastures.
- An interim fence until a more permanent fence can be selected, afforded and installed.
Cost as low as 40¢ per ft
Variations in cost are driven by:
- Choice and size of rope.
- Number of strands of rope.
- Type of posts. Insulated steel and wood are more expensive but last longer.
- Choice of energizer. Solar units are the most $$. AC plug-ins are the least $$. The line post cost per ft and energizer cost per ft are similar for any number of strands.
IntelliRope(s)--how they compare: IntelliRope PE 4.5 vs. PE 6.0
The only difference is that 4.5 is smaller (4.5 mm diameter vs. 6 mm). Why? It has fewer plastic filaments. However, the metal filaments, conductivity and type of plastic resin are identical.
- PE 4.5 is easier to roll up and unroll.
- PE 4.5 is less expensive.
- PE 4.5 is less visible.
Beware of low-quality PE “rope”
A word to the wise—the recent success of electrifiable rope for horses has attracted “bottom-feeding” suppliers for whom profit is everything.
The best PE rope is made of virgin resin and contains enough UV additive to ensure that it should last 10 years. Sadly the human eye cannot spot this difference.
You also need an energizer for this fence. Please refer to the Energizer section of our website to determine your needs.
NOTE: Dry conditions and wintertime usages—may reduce the effectiveness of electric fencing.
Listed below are the recommended components that may be needed to build this basic fence. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and speak with our fence consultants at