HotShock 5 Energizer
A low-cost 0.5 joule low-impedance electric fence charger which is recommended for temporary, short-length fences for sheep, goats, poultry and wildlife. Also temporary medium-length or permanent short-length fences for cattle and horses.
Can be powered by either a 110v plug-in or 12v battery (sold separately under accessories below).
- For temporary, short-length fences for sheep, goats, poultry and wildlife.
- For temporary, medium-length fences for cattle and horses.
- For permanent, short-length fences for cattle and horses.
- Peak output: 0.5 joules
- Pulses per minute: 38
- 110 AC draw: 1 watt per hour
- 12v DC draw: 46 mA/hr. With this energizer a 12v 100 ampere hour, deep cycle battery will last approximately 54 days* on a clean or a weedy fence. *Assumes being drawn down to 40% between recharges.
- Includes: 12v battery leads and 110v adapter
- Impedance type: low
- 1 mile of 3 strand cattle fence
- 1/2 mile of a 5-7 strand sheep fence
- 6 of the 164' sheep/goat nets
- 3 of the 164' poultry nets. All distances are dependent on amount of grass/weed load on the fence.
Made by Horizont, the German company whose products we have sold and used for 15 years.
Can be mounted either inside or outside of a building, but not where there is risk of fire. The energizer must be mounted vertically. Protect the energizer from direct rainfall.
- Connect an insulated cable (stripped back 1 - 2" on ends) to the fence terminal on energizer, run the cable to the fence line and connect, or use the positive part of the Wiring Harness.
- Then run a second length of cable from the ground terminal (with ends stripped again) on the energizer to the ground rod, or use the negative part of the Wiring Harness.
- Secure to ground rod(s) with a clamp.
- Plug into outlet and test fence.
To use the HotShock energizer as a battery unit:
- Attach wiring harness to Energizer.
- Attach the bare end of the wire with the red clip to the fence terminal of the energizer. Attach the red alligator clip to the fence.
- Attach the bare end of the wire with the black clip to the ground terminal of the energizer. Attach black alligator clip to the ground rod.
- Connect the energizer to the battery.
- Insert battery adapter into the HotShock unit. Attach red alligator clip from the adapter to the red “+” terminal of the battery.
- Attach black alligator clip from the adapter to the black “–” terminal of the battery.
Unit indicator light should flash and a tic-tac sound will be heard. If the indicator light doesn't flash, then the unit should be serviced.
To Reduce Risk & Liability
- Never place your head or upper spine near an electrified wire. Accidental head or neck contact can occur when pushing a voltage probe into the soil. Be careful when doing so to avoid head-to-wire contact!
- Never attempt to step over or climb through an energized fence of any kind.
- Never encourage anyone to touch an electric fence.
To determine if the fault is with the fence or the energizer...
- Test the energizer first
- Turn off energizer.
- Disconnect ground wire and the fence wire.
- Turn energizer back on.
- With fence tester, put the ground probe (or clamp) to the ground terminal on the energizer and the metal loop (or positive clamp) at the top of the tester to the fence/positive terminal. The reading you get tells you how well the energizer is working without any other variables. If there is a very low voltage (under 4000v) or no voltage, then the energizer may have a problem. If the voltage is high (greater than 4000v) then the trouble lies with your fence. Most energizers put out between 5000v and 8000v when there is no load (i.e. no fence hooked up).
- Check that the 110v outlet is "live" by using a plug-in drill or test light.
- If the test light works and the energizer does not, call Premier.
If the energizer is faulty and you are using it as a battery unit you need to learn if the battery or the energizer is the problem…
- If it's a 12 volt energizer carry the unit to a nearby vehicle and attach the input cords carefully to the vehicle's battery.
- If the energizer now works, then your fencer's battery needs to be recharged or replaced.
- If the energizer does not work, then you should call Premier re. repairs.
If the fence is at fault, then you must find the fault(s) and fix them. Here's how to start this process:
If you have a Fault Finder you can simply touch the fence with the Fault Finder at various points along the electric fence(s). The Fault Finder will tell you at each point which direction to go in to locate the problem. Move in that direction testing as you go and you will arrive at the problem.
If you lack a Fault Finder…
- Walk or drive along the fence looking for any point in which the energized wires touch the soil, a steel post or a steel wire. On HT wire fences, check the wires at braces to see if they are touching a hot wire. On netting, look for a hot wire touching the metal stake at the bottom of the plastic posts. Also look for damaged insulators.
- If the fence can be separated into several parts (by switches or by disconnecting parts of it), you can locate the problem by beginning at the far end and then progressively turn off or disconnect the sections of fence. When the voltage on the remaining fence rises sharply, you've located the section(s) that's causing the problems.
- The alternative to (2.) is to begin at the fencer and progressively turn on sections of the fence. When the voltage suddenly drops you can assume that the problem is in the section most recently connected.
When you buy an energizer from Premier, you purchase more than an energizer. You obtain these benefits:
- If an energizer fails within 2 years of its date of purchase, we will replace the failed module or unit at our cost. Your credit card will be charged for the replacement but you will receive full credit when the failed item is back at Premier. Your only cost is shipping the failed item to us. If the original energizer is over 2 years old, we will repair it, but you pay for the repair cost and freight.
- Free next-day air shipment of warranty replacement energizers. A unit can be shipped by 11 a.m. Central Time to be received the next day. (Calls on Friday after 11 a.m. will ship Monday.)
- Free technical support. We provide free advice before you purchase an energizer and free support afterwards for as long as you wish. This applies to energizer repair issues as well. If you are not sure how to replace/repair a module, we will “walk” you step-by-step through the process over the telephone.
- Solar energizer packages. With larger energizers (over 1 joule), the panel, battery and energizer need to be correctly sized for each situation. Call us and talk to our consultants.
- Five-year assurance against energizer obsolescence. Premier’s “contract” with our customers includes repair or replacement of any nonworking units for up to 5 years whether the unit is “obsolete” or not. During the 2-year warranty period, Premier pays for the replacement cost.
Note: Policy does not apply to failure due to abuse or neglect.
Warranty does not cover batteries.
If you think your energizer has failed, call us at 1-800-282-6631. We’ll help you test your energizer to ensure that it has truly failed. This is important because we’ve found that 25% of the units returned to us work fine. The fence was at fault, not the energizer.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Energizer Solar Panels and AccessoriesItem #121635 -
These rechargeable batteries are durable and safe for all 12v energizers.$81.00
FencingItem #147510 -
Holds solar panels of nearly any size (10 to 70 watts) at 45˚ (for maximum solar response in most conditions) on top of the energizer/battery support box.$25.00
Energizer Solar Panels and AccessoriesItem #112002 -
Attach to Premier Intellishock and HotShock electric fence energizers to adapt them to run on battery power.$9.26
Energizer Solar Panels and AccessoriesItem #112001 -
Replacement 110v AC plug for Premier's Intellishock electric fence energizers.$16.38
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Matt A from Oregon
I've used multiple brands and types of energizers and this one is my favorite (I own four of them). In my 2-wire fence configuration, I average 4.5kv running off a 12v deep cycle battery and the battery only needs to be recharged about once/month. The indicator light is easy to interpret and the case design is well shielded from the elements. These are simple and reliable.
Sid D from Louisiana
Five stars so far. This little unit is outstanding at charging our new chicken yard. Later on as I can afford it I'll add a battery and solar panel to make it a stand along setup.
Hilton H from Georgia
It definitely is more effective than my other unit. I don't think the frequency of the pulse is as good as advertised. Maybe it's better when used as an ac unit? It doesn't drain my 12v battery nearly as fast as my old unit.