MiniTag and DNA Ear Tag Applicator
- 9-1/2" long
- Metal hinges
- Hard plastic handles
- Installs: MiniTags. Also installs DNA Tags (we no longer sell).
How to Use
- Use the gray ring for applying the ear tags properly. The gray ring is attached to the metal leading pin. If the gray ring has come off, press the ring until it snaps on the metal leading pin. Slip the male tag securely over the metal leading pin. Attention: When taking off rings (while holding onto the ring) press the red clamp. If you press the red clamp without holding onto the ring, it may be lost.
- Press the white clamp up and then slide the female part of the tag under the metal fork, so that the external collar of the female tag is located in the open part of the jaw.
- The point on the male tag and the hole on the female tag should line up. Place the ear between the jaws of the applicator. Make sure the tag is correctly placed.
- While gripping the ear, quickly and firmly squeeze the handles together until the male tag is inserted through the ear and through the female side of the tag.
Tag placement is critical to success!For maximum retention and the lowest risk of bleeding and infection, place ear tags in either of the two spots shown in the illustration below. The goal is about 2-3 inches from the head of the animal.
TIP: Inserting Tags in Cold Weather
Plastic tags (all brands) are much easier to install if they are warm. Why? As the temperature drops below freezing, plastic becomes less flexible (more stiff). Forcing the male point of a tag through the female takes many more lbs. of pressure (because the female must expand).
So if you care about your hands it’s a good idea to keep the tags above freezing in very cold weather. It takes very little to do this. One method is to simply store them while tagging in a small bucket, cardboard box or tool box with a lid alongside a sealed pop bottle full of warm water. The warm water will keep both the air and the tags warmer in the container.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Cathe C from Illinois
Quality tool for applying mini tags. Worked great.
Carmel O from Ohio
Easy to use, well made product at a reasonable price!
great tool. good quality. easy to use
Eileen L from Wisconsin
Easy to handle I only used on mini tags.I had no problems with tags only wish that I didn't have to buy 2 taggers to do the same job.
Robie & Rhoni S
I have only used this applicator for the mini tags (have not used it for DNA tags). This applicator penetrates the ear well and does a nice job of securely fastening the tag together but it is heavy and quite bulky. I also have a little trouble sometimes keeping the male side of the tag on the post before I get the tag in. I also wish I didn't have to have two applicators - one for the mini tags and one for all the other tags.