MiniTag and DNA Ear Tag Applicator
- 9-1/2" long
- Metal hinges
- Hard plastic handles
- Installs: MiniTags. Also installs DNA Tags (we no longer sell).
How to Use
- Use the gray ring for applying the ear tags properly. The gray ring is attached to the metal leading pin. If the gray ring has come off, press the ring until it snaps on the metal leading pin. Slip the male tag securely over the metal leading pin. Attention: When taking off rings (while holding onto the ring) press the red clamp. If you press the red clamp without holding onto the ring, it may be lost.
- Press the white clamp up and then slide the female part of the tag under the metal fork, so that the external collar of the female tag is located in the open part of the jaw.
- The point on the male tag and the hole on the female tag should line up. Place the ear between the jaws of the applicator. Make sure the tag is correctly placed.
- While gripping the ear, quickly and firmly squeeze the handles together until the male tag is inserted through the ear and through the female side of the tag.
Tag placement is critical to success!For maximum retention and the lowest risk of bleeding and infection, place ear tags in either of the two spots shown in the illustration below. The goal is about 2-3 inches from the head of the animal.
TIP: Inserting Tags in Cold Weather
Plastic tags (all brands) are much easier to install if they are warm. Why? As the temperature drops below freezing, plastic becomes less flexible (more stiff). Forcing the male point of a tag through the female takes many more lbs. of pressure (because the female must expand).
So if you care about your hands it’s a good idea to keep the tags above freezing in very cold weather. It takes very little to do this. One method is to simply store them while tagging in a small bucket, cardboard box or tool box with a lid alongside a sealed pop bottle full of warm water. The warm water will keep both the air and the tags warmer in the container.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Tamara L from Kentucky
I am returning this applicator, unused to Premier 1. I was told that my old applicator that I received from the USDA, would not work with the new mini-Tags I ordered. This applicator is difficult for me to get my hands around, and the spring is too stiff. It may be okay for a man to use, my hands aren’t that big.
Vincent T from Texas
Very well made and very easy to use!!!
Jamie H from Ohio
Worked great for the mini tags!
Nazario from Minnesota
This tagger works great. I went from having to use two hands to only one and tags don’t stick in it like some other taggers.
Diane A from Minnesota
The applicator works great. I was apprehensive because of its weight and bulk. I didn't know if I would be able to grasp the handles with one hand.
It really worked slick, much better than other premier models that are now obsolete. I do wish the DNA collection tags were available to use with this.