Q-flex® 5 Ear Tags
Largest ear tag in our Q-flex line—very easy to read. For adult sheep only.
Customize your tags! We can customize your tags with consecutive numbers or farm/ranch name. Usually shipped within 2 business days.
Scrapie approved in all colors except blue.
Preview Your Tags Online!We have upgraded our website to make ear tags easier to order. Follow the steps below to get started.
While we now show a sample of your customized tags, please be aware that final imprinting may vary.
- Dimensions: 1.63" x 1.88"
- 20 tags per package
- Polyurethane, 2-piece tag
- Insert tags using Q-flex, Pro or Allflex® applicators.
- Tag colors in order of visibility and contrast of the printed numbers: Yellow, White, Spearmint, Salmon, Pink, Lime, Black, Blue, Fuchsia, Red, Green, Gray, Purple and Orange.
- Can be custom imprinted or handwritten on with Marking Pens.
- Scrapie approved in all colors except blue.
Follow the steps above to customize your tags online. (Note: While we now show a preview of your customized tags, please be aware that final imprinting may vary.)
Need a different customization option? You can provide special instructions during checkout. Or call us at 800-282-6631 to place your order.
How to Use
- The male and female tags will come to you slightly connected. You will need to tear them apart.
- Place the flag of the female tag under the metal spring finger. The printed side of the female tag will be against the jaw of the applicator. Slide the male tag over the metal pin. Be sure to push it all the way onto the pin. The printed side of the male tag will be against the other jaw of the applicator.
- Make sure the tag is correctly placed. Slowly squeeze the handles together to be sure the male pin aligns with the female opening (be careful to not put the tag together yet).
- Place the ear between the jaws of the applicator. While gripping the ear, quickly and firmly squeeze the handles together until the male tag is inserted through the ear and into the female tag.
Note: We will print both sides (male and female) unless otherwise specified. Scrapie approved tags are not available in blue. Flock ID number will be imprinted on female side only unless otherwise indicated.
Inserting Tags In Cold Weather
Plastic tags (all brands) are much easier to install if they are warm. Why? As the temperature drops below freezing plastic becomes less flexible (more stiff) and forcing the male point of a tag through the female takes many more lbs. of pressure (because the female must expand).
So if you care about your hands it’s a good idea to keep the tags above freezing in very cold weather. It takes very little to do this. One method is to simply store them while tagging in a small bucket, cardboard box or tool box with a lid alongside a sealed pop bottle full of warm water. The warm water will keep both the air and the tags warmer in the container.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Tamara M from Sacramento, CA
Overall I would recommend these ear tags. I have been using them four years now. I haven't had the fading issue that some other have had, but I have had two problems in the last year. My tag applicator started failing more than it worked without excessive use or allowing it to get dirty or abused. The metal male side holder pierces through the stem rendering it useles because the sides of the tags cannot be lined up closely enough. Luckily, my Allflex tagger worked on my QFlex tags, so I was still able to get the job done. Secondly, I had a high number of lambs pull them out, shredding their ears this ear. I usually get one or two. This year I had nine do it. I used the same instuructions/methods I have used every year. But overall, they are easy to use as a lone shepherdess, and are mostly reliable.
Lorna W from Manitoba, Canada
For the most part these tags are great. Option of customizing for no extra cost is great as well.One thing to improve on... Would be much better if these tags had a glossy finish as dirt tends to stick to the tags thereby making the numbers hard to read.
Michelle C from WA
I had a tough time with these new tags and tagger. Sometimes the tag doesn't seem to "click" or the tag kinda gets stuck in the tool. The tool seems of higher quality than the old plastic one, but is more difficult to use for small hands and when you're alone.
And the way the tags are connected, where the same # and the male/female sides aren't connected to each other, OMG, we had an insane time keeping them straight, and made 4 mistakes out of 120 tags where we didn't match the #s right. We had to lay them out on the ground in a big grid of matching tags to keep them organized.
I'm hoping these tags resolve some of the earlier design flaws, of the center post frequently breaking, and also the tags fading or collecting dirt (because they aren't shiny/smooth) so they are unreadable. But, I'm also praying you find a way to keep the male/female same # connected next year, or I'll go insane!
David F from texas
Excellent should have been using them all along
Darvin H from Barwick Ontario
the tags that i ordered were exactly as i had wanted them
as for the shipping on them i was Very impressed from the time i ordered them to the time i got them in the mail was only 3 days and the acuracy of the whole order was very complete - Darvin Heatwole