Rope Fences - Up to 5 strands
Consists of up to 5 strands of electrifiable long-lasting rope strained between wood end and corner posts, supported by wood or steel line posts.
Spacing of line posts (not more than 35 ft) must be adjusted to terrain. Always put a post at top of hills and bottom of valleys.
Vary the spacing of rope strands according to type and size of horse(s), fence usage (boundary vs. subdivision) and the number of strands.
Cost: as low as 45¢ per ft
Key factors that affect costs are: number of strands; choice of rope; choice of energizer.
- Boundary fence. An attractive, effective, low-cost option to vinyl and wood fences.
- Subdivide pastures and feeding areas. Enables feeding and pasturing horses as individuals. Reduces horse-to-horse bonding problems.
- Keeps horses away from hazards (ponds, streams, feed, stored building materials).
- To fence floodplains. Floodwaters flow through rope fences more readily than other fences. And it's easier to repair if a serious flood occurs.
- Fences for exercise arenas. It's wise to switch the power off when arena is in use.
- To prevent horses in adjacent pens from having physical access to each other. Nothing equals a quality electric fence for this role. It's "magic.".
A comparison of EnduraSoft® , IntelliBraid and ElectroBraid®:
- Plastic filaments? All are polyester.
- Design? The plastic filaments are twisted in EnduraSoft. For the other two, they are, obviously, braided.
- Size and strength? Similar.
- Visibility? EnduraSoft's strong black/ white contrast is much more visible.
- Safety to horses? No difference.
- Maintenance? Despite a competitor's claim on the Internet (one has to wonder why they say this rubbish), twisted rope does not unravel under tension and needs no more maintenance than either braided rope.
- Durability/longevity? Similar.
- Cost? EnduraSoft 13¢ and IntelliBraid 15¢ per ft from Premier. ElectroBraid® (a competitor's product) is currently 21¢ per ft. Why the difference? 1. Premier doesn't sell through retailers. We sell direct to you. 2. We also buy direct--in semi loads.
- Metal filaments? All use copper. EnduraSoft and IntelliBraid use tinned copper (used for decades by fence manufacturers worldwide because it doesn't corrode if it contacts steel). ElectroBraid® uses untinned copper--which is why it requires the use of brass accessories.
- Warranty? Premier's approach is simple. If any of our fence products (not just rope) are defective or don't satisfy within a reasonable period of time (years, not months), we either replace them or refund their cost (pro-rated). Premier has been standing behind our products since 1979 (a decade before ElectroBraid® existed). We've supplied over 12,000 miles of electrifiable rope to satisfied customers. We have been and still are the biggest single retail outlet for electrifiable rope in the USA. Because we both supply direct and use all it on our farms we quickly learn if an item disappoints.
Energizer: You also need an energizer for this fence. Please refer to the Energizer section of our website to determine your needs.
NOTE: Dry conditions and wintertime usages—may reduce the effectiveness of electric fencing.
Listed below are the recommended components that may be needed to build this basic fence. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and speak with our fence consultants at