The distance the strand should be held away from a fence varies. For vinyl or wood, 2 in. is fine; because injury risk is greater, 7 in. is advised for HT wire fences.
- Prevents horses from fighting across paddock fences.
- Keeps horses from leaning, rubbing or chewing on fence.
- Enables worn and weary fences to last a few more years.
- Gives longevity to new fences.
- Keeps horses away from less-safe fences (HT wire, barbed wire).
- Carries pulses from an energizer in the barn to outlying fences.
Cost: as low as 9¢ per ft
The cost of a Guard Strand is only the cost of the conductor, insulators and energizer.
Which conductor? IntelliRope® PE 4.5 works well and is not expensive.
Which insulator? Depends on the existing fence. Review our insulators and choose the ones that match your line, end and corner posts.
You also need an energizer for this fence. Please refer to the Energizer section of our website to determine your needs.
NOTE: Dry conditions and wintertime usages—may reduce the effectiveness of electric fencing.
Listed below are the recommended components that may be needed to build this basic fence. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and speak with our fence consultants at